02 January, 2007

10 in 20: "crystallography"











Artist Comments: The idea behind this exercise was to visually brainstorm a random word, and see what I could come up with. I set my materials and my alarm clock to one side, took my mini-dictionary in hand, and resolved to make 10 pictures in 20 minutes. I timed myself for 2 minutes on each sketch I did, frantically re-setting the alarm as I turned the page.

I originally hatched the idea for this sort of thing back in the spring of 2005, when I drew ten self-portraits of myself in a half hour, using a Sharpie marker on paper. Nearly two years later, here's another iteration of the same exercise. I like the idea of doing exercises in short amounts of time; it tends to focus my energies and efforts when I set limitations or a framework upon myself. I recommend it to everyone, especially if you've never tried it.

For this first "10 in 20," the word I first looked at in the dictionary was "crystallography." At the outset, I hadn't a clear idea of the word's definition. Here it is, from dictionary.com:

(noun) the science dealing with crystallization and the forms and structure of crystals.

For some reason, blogger didn't post the pictures in order, though I uploaded them sequentially. I can't be bothered to try and re-order them. Not like it makes much difference, anyway; it's not a narrative.
Media: charcoal stick on paper.
All pictures completed between 9:40 and 10:00pm, Monday, 1st January, 2007.

these works protected by a creative commons license. more information is available on the main page.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh heh...this looks like storyboards for a music video for Dio.

02 January, 2007 17:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home